What are English At Large Conversation Groups?
Our conversation groups are groups of 8-12 learners who meet weekly to practice their English speaking skills. Our groups provide an opportunity for learners to improve their speaking confidence and meet other adults who are learning English.
- All groups are free! There is no cost to attend our conversation groups.
- All adults who want to practice their English speaking skills are welcome at our groups.
- We recommend that you have an at least an intermediate English speaking level. If you can speak on the telephone without too much difficulty, your English speaking ability is likely at an intermediate level.
- Conversation groups are not English classes. Our trained volunteers focus mainly on listening and speaking, and less on reading and writing.
Topics usually covered in conversation groups include American culture and holidays, idioms, casual spoken English, and daily life situations (the bank, the post office, speaking with neighbors, etc.).
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can participate?
English At Large Conversation Groups are open to all adults who want to practice their English speaking skills.
What level of English do I need to attend?
To participate fully in a group, we recommend that you have an at least an intermediate English speaking level. If you can speak on the telephone without too much difficulty, your English speaking ability is likely at an intermediate level.
Each Conversation Group facilitator determines which learners can join their group and may determine that some learner’s English speaking ability is too low to join their conversation group.
How much do these groups cost?
All of our programs are free.
Can I attend more than one Conversation Group at the same time?
You can only register for one group at the start of the semester. When registration closes, you can sign up for the waitlist of a second group. If there is space in that group, you will be able to attend a second group.
I’ve participated in a Conversation Group in the past. Do I need to register again?
Yes. All learners who would like to take part in our current session of conversation groups must fill out the registration form.
What happens after I register?
English At Large and your group facilitator will call or email you before the group begins. Please confirm that you are in a group before attending. Please note that our conversation groups are very popular and that you might be placed on a waiting list.
Registration for our Summer Conversation Groups
is Now Open
Our Summer Conversation Groups will begin in June
Register for Groups here: https://goo.gl/forms/7R60a5rjTTPAv5vv2
The following Summer 2018 Conversation Groups Still Have Openings:
- Thursday Evenings, 7:00-8:30pm, Starts June 7, at St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church
- Monday Mornings, 11:30am-1:00pm, Starts June 4, at Beech Street Community Center
- Friday Mornings, 11:30am-1:00pm, Starts June 8, at Beech Street Community Center
- Friday Mornings 10:00am-11:30am, Starts June 15, at Winchester Public Library
- Thursday Afternoons, 1:30pm-3:00pm, Starts June 14, at English At Large Office
Questions? Please call English At Large at 781-395-2374 or email email@example.com
English At Large
We thank our sponsors
Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
Subscribe to our newsletter