English At Large …
… provides free, relevant, practical, and accessible services to adult immigrants and refugees in 21 communities in Middlesex County. Our One-to-One Tutoring, Conversation Groups, Career Access Lab (CAL), Beginner English and Summer Book Groups give English language learners at all levels the knowledge, skills, tools, support and confidence they need to fully engage in their communities and move forward in their new life in the United States.
All of our services are delivered by volunteers. They are our greatest asset, and donate thousands of hours in service to the more than 500 learners who benefit from our programs each year.
- More than 230 volunteers share their time, energy and knowledge as teachers and facilitators of our One-to-One Tutoring, Conversation Group and CAL Programs.
- As many as 12 additional volunteers donate their time throughout the year in our office, and assist us with program planning, data management and learner assessments.
…give life to our mission and work hard to ensure that EAL programs are of the highest quality and relevant for their learners.
- EAL volunteers are highly educated, passionate in their commitment to our mission, and well-connected in their communities.
- EAL volunteers bring a wealth of life experience to their roles, and share this freely with their learners.
- EAL volunteers are natural ambassadors, not only for EAL, but also for the value that immigrants and refugees add to our society.
English At Large serves a highly diverse set of English language learners who live or work in our 21-community service area.
- Come to the United States from 40 different countries.
- Speak 31 different languages and unique dialects.
- 80% are female, 20% are male.
- 60% are between 35-54 years of age.
- 65% have a higher education degree, earned in their home country.
- 60% have a household income under $30,000.
- 40% are beginner English language learners.
- 38% are unemployed and seeking work.
- 37% are employed in positions well below their professional credentials.
Our Service Area
English At Large serves 21 communities in Middlesex County, Massachusetts:
English At Large
We thank our sponsors
Follow us on Twitter
Join us on Facebook
This message is only visible to admins:
Unable to display Facebook posts
Click here to Troubleshoot.
Subscribe to our newsletter