Enroll in Tutoring
English At Large provides free English language tutoring to adult learners who meet eligibility criteria and demonstrate a need for free, individualized instruction. Learners must live or work within our 21-town service area to enroll.
About the Program
Our individualized tutoring program provides English language lessons that allow learners to progress according to their own goals and at their own rate. The program is free of cost to participants.
EAL tutors are dedicated volunteers who receive comprehensive training and bring their own considerable life and work experience to one-to-one instruction.
Learners and tutors meet for about two hours each week at a convenient time in a public place, such as a local library.* Learners in our tutoring program commit to meeting weekly with a tutor for 100 hours or one year of tutoring, whichever comes first. Tutors and learners decide on meeting dates, times, and duration, usually meeting once or twice a week.
Once enrolled in the program, tutoring learners are expected to:
- Commit at least 2 hours (weekly) to tutoring (scheduled with the tutor)
- Commit at least 2 more hours (weekly) to practice English and complete homework the tutor assigns.
- Take no more than a 3-week break from tutoring during their year in the program
- Arrive on time to tutoring meetings
- Participate in exercises to measure language progress when required by English At Large
Failure to meet the above requirements may result in removal from the tutoring program.
* A SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT REMOTE TUTORING IN 2020:
Due to COVID-19, all tutoring will take place online until further notice.
Minimum Technology Requirements:
- A desktop or laptop computer with video conferencing capabilities (webcam and microphone)
- Broadband internet
- Learners will use video conferencing (such as Zoom, Skype, etc.) to meet with their tutor.
Additional Information to note:
- New tutor/learner matches that begin online will remain online through the full duration of the program (one year or 100 hours of tutoring).
- All other program expectations and eligibility requirements apply to online tutoring.
- Learners must live or work within our 21-town service area to enroll in online tutoring.
To be eligible for this program, learners must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Live or work in one of the 21 communities we serve
- Plan to live in the United States for at least five years
- Not be currently enrolled in high school or college classes
- Not have a degree from a US college or university
- Not already be enrolled in another free, state-sponsored English Program
- Meet English Language level requirements (based on test given by English At Large)
- Agree to fulfill all program requirements
Who Should Apply?
English At Large tutoring may be right for you if:
- You are unable to attend traditional English classes due to cost, schedule, or availability
- You have personal or professional goals related to your life in the U.S, but need to improve your English skills in order to achieve them
- You need to use English in your everyday life
- You are at a beginning to intermediate English language level
Apply for One-to-One TutoringSign Up for One-to-One Tutoring
We have many learners on our waitlist, and current wait time for a tutor is around 9-12 months from the time you submit the online application.
Once you submit out the online application, English at Large will contact you by email within 7-10 days with next steps. Please use our resources page to find other program options and ways to start learning now!
If you have questions, please call our office at 781-395-2374
English At Large
We thank our sponsors
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Subscribe to our newsletter