English At Large …
… provides free, accessible, high-quality services to adult immigrants in 24 communities across Greater Boston. Our One-to-One Tutoring, Conversation Groups, Career Access Lab (CAL), Beginner English, Caregiver and Workplace English Programs and Summer Book Groups give English language learners at all levels the knowledge, skills, tools, support and confidence they need to fully engage in their communities and move forward in their new life in the United States.
All of our services are delivered by volunteers, trained and supported by English At Large staff. They are our greatest asset, and donate thousands of hours in service to the more than 400 learners who benefit from our programs each year.
- More than 200 volunteers share their time, energy and knowledge as teachers and facilitators of our One-to-One Tutoring, Conversation Group and CAL Programs.
- As many as 12 additional volunteers donate their time throughout the year in our office, and assist us with program planning, data management and learner assessments.
…give life to our mission and work hard to ensure that EAL programs are of the highest quality and relevant for their learners.
- EAL volunteers share a deep commitment to welcoming newcomers in their communities, and supporting their learner’s journey to learn English and to acclimate to life in the US and in their communities.
- EAL volunteers bring a wealth of life experience to their roles, and share this freely with their learners.
- EAL volunteers are natural ambassadors, not only for EAL, but also for the value that immigrants and refugees add to our society.
English At Large serves a highly diverse set of English language learners who live or work in our 24-community service area.
- Come to the United States from 48 different countries.
- Speak 33 different languages and unique dialects.
- 76% are female, 18% are male, 6% did not identify.
- 60% are between 35-54 years of age.
- 65% have a higher education degree, earned in their home country.
- 46% have a household income under $30,000; 68% are under $45,000.
- 30% are beginner English language learners.
- 38% are unemployed and seeking work.
- 37% are employed in positions well below their professional credentials.
Our Service Area
English At Large serves 24 communities in Greater Boston, Massachusetts:
English At Large
Leadership Support Provided by
Like us on Facebook
Subscribe to our newsletter
By submitting this form, you are consenting to receive marketing emails from: English At Large. You can revoke your consent to receive emails at any time by using the SafeUnsubscribe® link, found at the bottom of every email. Emails are serviced by Constant Contact